Why study here?
Explore unique artefacts, join research teams at sites around the world and be part of an award-winning subject area.
Combining insights from humanities and science, Archaeology gives you the opportunity to explore humanity from its earliest origins right up to the impact of industrialisation and globalisation on society.
You’ll consider the challenges we face in modern society – from climate change, to the invention of new technologies – through the exciting record of our past.
- Explore exclusive resources and hands-on learning offered by globally renowned collections
- Global fieldwork for four weeks of placement, subsidised by the School
- Gain scientific knowledge and insight into multiple humanities subjects, in a single degree
- Work with experienced archaeologists at excavation sites around the world
- Build local awareness of the subject in public engagement activities and community projects
- Explore a wealth of sites on our doorstep, including the city’s Roman ruins.
- Become the best you can be by participating in Stellify for true personal and professional growth.
Careers and employability
Study Archaeology at Manchester and you will develop the knowledge you need to start your career in archaeology after your degree, as well as to pursue careers in both related and unrelated fields.
The University of Manchester is also the most targeted university in the UK for top graduate employers, according to High Fliers Research.
Find out more on the Careers and employability page.
Watch the video below to find out what Archaeology means to staff, students and you.
Engaging, diverse and incredibly enjoyable ... the course has given me the chance to study ancient languages and literary sources, and fascinating material cultures from around the world. I also had the possibility of a lifetime: getting my hands dirty on a dig in Cyprus, and meeting amazing people.William Rigby / BA (Hons) Ancient History and Archaeology